Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Halloween

   Last year, late one night we were sitting at home doing particularly nothing worth remembering. The norm for late nights in Seattle is its dark and its quiet. Suddenly, there is a heavy knock on the door. We both fly out of the sofa where, till a moment ago we were comfortably relaxing. I quickly gather the clothes strewn on the sofa and other junk items and deposit it on the bedroom floor. Having cleared the living room, I walk back to Reni who is standing beside the door, peering through the peep hole.

   Before I proceed further, let me tell you that late night knocks on our door are something that we have had to deal with before. Our neighbors were in some kind of trouble with the police and we have had cops coming to check on them. Several times police cars would watch that apartment for a couple of minutes and then drive away. So I was very wary of the folks next door. At times we have also had friends of our neighbors knock on our doors late night by accident. By the time we open our door, they would have realized their mistake and gone into the right house without a word to us. Keeping all that in mind, I kept my voice down and mimed asking Reni who it was. He whispered he couldn't see a thing. Immediately I thought it must be someone who had accidentally knocked and had gone away. My second thought was someone was hiding by the door out of sight. I wanted to take a look too. From past experiences I knew that if I walked past the peep hole, it would obstruct the light and whoever was outside would know that someone was inside. So I bent down on all fours and crawled across.  Reni looks down and seeing me sitting down by the door, he whispers, " Someone has covered the key hole from the outside. I cant see anything because of that." My eyebrows shoot up in shock. Is the neighbor playing with us? Who could it be?

   My detective powers immediately kick in. I jump up and run silently towards the bed room. I part the blinds ever so slowly and look out to see if anyone is hiding. Though we cannot see the door from the window, I look hoping for some clue. Meanwhile I can hear Reni asking who is there but there is no response apart from more knocks. Moments later Reni joins me at the window and we both look out. I strain my ear hoping to pick up some noise. But to no avail, its eerily quiet outside except for the knocks. We both head back to the door. Though Reni continues to ask who is outside no one answers and the knocking continues. Finally after sometime Reni decides to be brave and starts to unlock the door. I step back from the door and move to the side. Reni too steps back from the door and extends his hand towards the door knob and starts to turn the knob.

   Inch by inch he opens the door, hiding behind the door partially and at the same time trying to see who is out there. I can hear noises outside but I am unable to see. I can only see Reni and his face shows surprise and then... he starts to smile. Startled, I walk towards the door and look out to see a hooded figure in black with the Scream mask and a huge knife in his hand.





Nikky emerges from behind the mask smiling.  Along with him is Sanoj grinning.
Happy halloween they say.


1 comment:

  1. "I can only see Reni and his face shows surprise and then..."

    The word "surprise" in that sentence is an understatement; it was more like "aghast"! :D

    ReplyDelete