Thursday, December 9, 2010

telephones part 2

I never return calls. I never message. I dont send forwards on email let alone phones. My mobile was useful to me to the extent of picking up calls and setting my daily alarm. I had deliberately bought the cheapest model from Nokia at that time.

The whole world knows that if you dont call or message someone sooner or later you are not going to get any calls or messages yourself. That is telephone ettiquette. But whether the phone rings or not, I never let the mobile out of my sight. I carried it with me to all meetings where it provided me something to fiddle with when things turned boring. I took it with me those late nights when there was no electricity at home and therefore no light except the small glow on the mobile. I panicked everytime it got lost in the jungle of junk my bag contained. Yet I never called nor messaged.

But yes when you love someone who is on the opposite side of the continent, the mobile is a very useful device to have. However I generally mailed at the end of the day while he called. I guess my aversion to phones in general started early in life when I was asked to pick up the phone and answer to whoever was calling that dad was not at home inspite of the fact that dad was sleeping in the next room.

At this point of time, my trusted mobile sits in one dark corner of the cupboard without charge. On those rare occasions when I need a number it reminds me of the life I used to lead.  No longer do I bother with missed calls or unread messages.

But even without the mobile I am still within the clutches of the telephonic wire monster. My land line with its free calls to India. Unemployed and alone at home, everyone assumes that the landline is my new best friend. I am scolded for not calling relatives back home. "Its free!" they say so whats stopping you? The anti social being in me balks at calling up friends and relatives. I often end up not knowing what to say to the person on the other side. Its so much easier for me if I were to talk directly to another person. For most part I answer the questions that are asked of me and then maybe ask a couple of my own if I remember. If only letter writing were still in vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment